Australia is a unique country with a diverse population and culture, reflected in the various types of human hair wigs available in the Australian market. From European to Asian hair types, Australians can access a wide range of wigs to suit their needs and preferences. However, the climate can challenge those who own human hair wigs in Australia. This article will provide tips on how to care for, style and store your wigs.
Washing Your Wig
Washing is one of the most important steps in caring for your wig. You should wash your wig every 7-10 days or as needed, depending on how often you wear it and your lifestyle. Here are the steps to follow when washing your wig:
Step 1: Gently detangle your wig with a wig comb or brush.
Step 2: Fill a sink or basin with lukewarm water and add mild shampoo. Swirl the water around with your hand to create suds.
Step 3: Place the wig in the sink or basin and gently swirl it around for a few minutes to cleanse it. Do not rub or twist the wig.
Step 4: Rinse the wig thoroughly with cool water.
Step 5: Apply a small amount of conditioner to the wig, avoiding the roots.
Step 6: Rinse the wig again with cool water until all the conditioner is removed.
Step 7: Gently pat the wig with a towel to remove excess water. Do not rub or wring the wig.
Step 8: Place the wig on a wig stand or mannequin head to air dry. Do not use a hairdryer or heat-styling tools on a wet wig.
Styling Your Wig
It is important to be gentle when styling your wig to prevent damage. Here are some tips for styling:
- Use a wide-tooth comb or wig brush to detangle your wig before styling.
- Avoid using heat styling tools on your wig, such as flat irons, curling irons, and hot rollers. If you must use heat, use a heat protectant spray and a low heat setting.
- Use styling products, such as hairspray and mousse, specifically for wigs. Regular hair products may contain ingredients that can damage your wig.
- When styling your wig, be gentle and avoid pulling or tugging on the hair.
Storing Your Wig
When you’re not wearing your wig, it is crucial to store it properly to maintain its shape and prevent tangles. Here are some tips for storing your wig:
- Store your wig on a stand or mannequin head to maintain its shape.
- Cover the wig with a wig cap or net to prevent dust and dirt from settling on it.
- Store the wig in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, heat, and humidity.
- If you’re travelling with your wig, use a wig box or bag to protect it.
The popularity of human hair wigs in Australia has grown largely over the years. If you own one, it is essential to appropriately care for it, style it and store it. Follow the tips and tricks outlined in this article to keep your wig in top condition. Regular washing, gentle styling, and proper storage can help extend your wig’s life. Remember to avoid using regular hair products, which can damage the hair fibres. Instead, opt for wig-specific products to ensure your wig stays in top condition. With these tips, you can enjoy your human hair wig for months, looking fabulous and feeling confident.